Friday, September 17, 2010

VENTURE BROS sketches: The Diving Bell Vs. The Butter-Glider

Ohhh my god I forgot about Venture Bros!!! I mean... I didn't forget to watch but I forgot to post sketches from my work on the episode. Some people like to see these. They are so old to me. Oh... I am so nostalgic for New York.

A little background: I was one of four Animation Directors on The Venture Bros. After the storyboards are completed we were tasked with timing out all of the action in the episode as well as clarifying character acting and adding little bits of funny business. Our job builds heavily on the work of the Storyboard Artists and the Storyboard Revisionists. Direction drawings are like the extra spice that punctuate these moments and work toward solidifying the feel of the show.

I only worked on the first 7 episodes of this half-season. I moved out to LA to work on Adventure Time and I missed my chance to work on the season finale extravaganza. (I read the script though and it's gonna be super-badass. Wish I got to work on it.)

Anyway let's get on with it!

Monarch's Butterglider! It's like a weird flying Segway. At least, that's how I thought of it. I also did a cycle for the exhaust when it's not moving. I was really impressed by how this came out, especially the smoke trails when Monarch flies in a circle. Really nice.

Some laser effects. Also some Billys! These are sorta wonky but man Billy was one of the best characters to draw because he's cute.

The Henchman go rogue. On the bottom-right you can see a plan for the order of the darts hitting Hatred's back. No reason it's that order, it's just gotta be planned out somewhere!

A nice detail in this episode. As hatred runs up the Venture Compound stairs, he wildly shoots into the crowd of Rogue Henchmen and nails this dude in the gut. If you can find it in the episode it looks totally brutal. That guy probably had a family! Sad.

Here's some of Hatred flipping out. These drawings of him spinning around wildly and grabbing his gun look very exagerrated. That's not a terrible thing because the overseas studio sometimes underplays the expressiveness of poses.

Okay that's it! Greetz to the VB crew I miss alla yall.

Posted via email from ianjq dot com

6 comments:

The Bouncing Bird said...

I love love love that pose of the Monarch, second drawing from the left in the first image, and the one right below it too. They're all amazing, especially Sgt Hatred's freak out, but there's so much personality with that drawing. The glider is this insane fantastical contraption and to see the Monarch treat it so casually, like he's standing on a swing, has so much honesty about it. It cracks me up!

Earn 200 said...

Earn easily 200 dollars here in the internet. Simply be an affiliated member and promote the site and its product! http://www.earn-200-dollars-online.info/

M. Daniyal Iqbal said...

Watch Online Live Dragon Ball Z Remastered / Uncut 9 Season 291 Episode and Sagas Watch At On Link

OCEANNE said...

Great stuffs!

morange said...

True Religion jeans outlet
True Religion outlet
True Religion
True Religion
true religion men coat
true religion men jean clothes
chaussures pas cher

true religion men jeans
true religion mens short jeans
true religion men short T shirt
true religion womens oat
true religion womens jean skirt
sac louis vuitton

morange said...

Supra Shoes

Supra Skytop Shoes

Supra Vaiders Shoes

Supra Skytop Shoes Outlet

Supra Shoes for sale

skytop supra shoes

supra shoes skytop

supra shoes online

supra shoes for cheap

where can i find supra shoes

where can i get supra shoes

where to get supra shoes

where to find supra shoes