Thursday, August 28, 2008

VBROS update1

SPOILER ALERT

Oh man Venture Bros season 3 comes out today. just 5 hours from my typing this! HOLY CRAP!

I have a manila folder full of drawings that I saved from when I was working on it. Every week I will try to scan a few of them from the show that airs.

-------------------

I got a job on VB doing direction and I was really scared, because I had never directed a real cartoon before. But it turned out okay. Basically my job started after the animatic stage. We'd get an animatic made of the storyboards and sit down with Jackson(he created the show!) and he would give us suggestions on how things would move. After these meetings I would have a bunch of notes like this!



Then came the hard part- transcribing these kinds of subtleties onto paper. We used X-Sheets to track every movement. You know, These things:



I'm kicking myself for not saving some of the completed x-sheets because they looked like a huge clusterbomb of scribbles when they were completed. oh well. they sent all of them to Korea and I'll never see them again! Anyway i'm sure you've all seen x-sheets before- Each row is one frame of time and it is up to you to decide what happens on each frame by making descriptions. They translate the instructions into Korean and I don't know how it works but it always does.

Anyway the episode of venture that comes out today isn't actually the first one I worked on. So I guess I'll reminisce about that experience later. This was maybe the 4th or 5th one produced and it was pretty fun.



This episode has a lot of silhouettes in it. A LOT of them. One of the best things about this is you only have to direct the heads going back and forth slightly as they talk.



I spent a lot of my time on this kind of stuff- making people walk down a hall and talk. By pure luck I directed a lot of talky sequences. But those are fun because you get to draw a lot of body language.



eughhhhh WALKING IN PERSPECTIVE. It's difficult to draw and it became a pain sometimes. But I liked drawing Dr. Girlfriend. She has a lot of really sarcastic line reads. And she's a sexy sexy lady. Which is always a plus.



Hope you enjoy the episode!

No comments: